Monday, May 16, 2016

Timing

Sometimes life just stinks.

Sometimes things happen at the worst possible time and all you can do is laugh at how ironic life is. On Friday I went hot tubbing with my roommate and our friend and I must have stayed in too long because when I got out I passed out, which resulted in me injuring my left side pretty badly when I fell. I thought I cracked a rib but since it's feeling better I don't think it's cracked. All weekend as I was telling different people the story I kept saying "I'm just so grateful it wasn't my leg or ankle since I'm going to Ecuador in 3 weeks!" As some of you know, I have a bone condition called Osteogenesis Imperfecta which results in my bones being softer than normal, meaning while someone else might get a sprain, I tend to break a bone. Well, what do you know. The Lord sure has a funny sense of humor. Missy and I went to Steven and Debi's for dinner yesterday and as we were leaving I went to walk across their lawn and I stepped in a hole and hyperextended my knee pretty badly. All I could do was laugh because I literally had just finished telling them how grateful I was that I hadn't injured my leg or ankle on Friday when I passed out. The timing was just hilarious.

I thought I had torn my ACL or dislocated my knee but I'm pretty sure it's just hyperextended. I'm hoping for a miracle and that I will be able to walk on it by the time I go to Ecuador. I got a blessing from a couple of the boys next door and in the blessing I was promised that the injury would heal completely, although the length of recovery is unknown and would happen in the Lord's timing. I was told I just have to have faith. I can do that. Honestly, when I first heard the blessing I was convinced I wasn't gong to Ecuador anymore. That's what it sounded like! I know that the Lord knows me and my situation and that things will turn out they need to. I have faith that if it's the right thing, the Lord can perform a miracle and heal my knee before I go to Ecuador. But if not, I will still trust in Him and his promises. I was also told in my blessing that I need to pray to find out other ways I can use my body to serve others.

What I have learned this weekend is that sometimes life stinks. Sometimes the Lord doesn't prevent things from happening to us. But in the midst of it all, we have a loving Heavenly Father and brother Jesus Christ who sees us through all our disappointments and discouragements. We have to take what life gives us and roll with it. I love this quote from Marjorie Pay Hinckley:

"The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh. Crying gives me a headache."

No comments:

Post a Comment